Real Tomahawk has more power

• Hi, i enjoy my PA28, but i also just bought the PA38 Tomahawk, i regret my purchase ! This Tomahawk has no power to climb, it stalls too easy ! I got my PPL training on a real Tomahawk, so i have irl experience, this is not how a real Tomahawk flies ! Its engine is not as powerfull as the PA28 but the Just Flight PA38 behaves not at all as the real ...

• And I worked directly with a PA38 pilot to create the flight dynamics, with a lot of head-scratching and fine tuning! He is very happy with it, obviously you are not. All I can suggest is that, over many years of use, each aircraft will have a history that builds into the characteristics (engine wear, airframe movement, control rigging etc) and they are going to be very individual aircraft in many respects.

I can say is that this aircraft does behave as the real one our pilot flies, so there's not a lot more I can do. If you want to tweak it a little, I would suggest opening the aircraft.cfg file in notepad and, for the two areas you specifically mention, adjust the following lines:

[propeller]
    thrust_scalar = 1.0 - make small changes, gradually build the thrust from the propeller but do not adjust the engine files above as that will affect the instrument readings.

A little further down, under [flight_tuning] adjust in combination

pitch_stability = 1.00
    roll_stability = 1.00
    yaw_stability = 1.00

They will affect the overall stability of the aircraft (so general flight as well as stall behaviour) but the stall itself is built in to multiple tables in the airfile. See if you can find a balance where you are happy with it.

Paul.

• @pluto7777 I can confirm that I also see a lack of power for this aircraft. I've logged a ticket about the issue but am still waiting for a response two weeks later...

• @preynolds @pluto7777 I've just taken the Tomahawk up for three brief climb tests, using flaps up / 70kts / 1670lb AUW as per figure 5-13 of the POH (climb performance).

Altering the OAT to 0, 10 and 20 degrees at all heights from ground to 10,000ft, flying from Bidford Gliding Centre (135ft above MSL).

0 degrees, I'm seeing a touch over 700fpm initially dropping to about 650fpm by 2000ft.

10 degrees gives me 700fpm dropping to a little over 600 fpm by 2000ft

20 degrees gives around 620fpm and drops to just under 600 fpm by 2000ft.

That's pretty close to what the manual gives and is certainly within tolerance for a club aircraft. Unless you can show me something concrete which contradicts the POH, I'm not going to alter that. I have made a suggestion further up-thread about how you could increase the power for yourselves if you are unsatisfied with this.

Cheers,
    Paul.

• @Delta558 Hi Paul, thanks for your response. My ticket relates to cruise speed not climb performance. The documents provided give examples which simply cannot be achieved, being sometimes 19kts slower than published. That's a fairly substantial difference for this type of aircraft.
    I would also prefer not to have to start tweaking and testing/re-testing a product that I've paid good money for a developer to deliver. Apologies if this sounds a bit harsh but this isn't a throwaway £5 add-on.
    Please could I ask that you test various cruise speeds at 65/75% throttle as shown in the documentation and outlined in my ticket.
    Many thanks.
    Phil

• JF Staff

I would also prefer not to have to start tweaking and testing/re-testing a product that I've paid good money for a developer to deliver. Apologies if this sounds a bit harsh but this isn't a throwaway £5 add-on.

I agree - that was, however, a suggestion if you wanted to bodge the supplied flight model that we think is accurate and has been well tested (and reviewed).
    We will definitely take a look at the numbers you have sent, but the PA-38 has been out for a while now and we review all feedback that we get after release.

• @Derek thanks for the response. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into these add-ons and certainly don't want to be bodging anything. Great to hear you'll look at the cruise figures and look forward to a response in due course.
    Regards
    Phil

• @Derek has anything been looked at with regard to this? I've also had no response at all on my support ticket #35291 for over 32 days now.

• JF Staff

@preynolds said in Real Tomahawk has more power:

@Derek has anything been looked at with regard to this? I've also had no response at all on my support ticket #35291 for over 32 days now.

I think that's because there isn't much to say but I will check the official response. I suspect you've had no reply as it's 'in the forum' - which is why we don't do support on the forums. Sorry about that.

• @Derek no problem, I've had some response on the ticket so will continue with support there, thanks.

• JF Staff

I've contacted you both directly as we'd like to hear your feedback on the changes that we've been making to the FDE.